Storing breastmilk offers many conveniences, a reap lifesaver for many - perhaps you're expressing antenatally, building up a stash for when you're going to be away from your baby or need someone to help out with the feeds. Storing breastmilk should be performed correctly, let me walk you through how to do that safely with Haakaa's innovated products that are new to us here at Little Mash Boutique
How to store breastmilk and how long will it keep?
Ensure that whatever you're using to store your milk is clean. Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 4 hours, in the fridge for 48 hours, in the freezer box for 2 weeks, in a seperate fridge/freezer for 3-6 months and in a deep freeze for 6-12 months. It's important the milk is towards the back in all instances where the temperature is most constant.
Haakaa Silicone Milk Storage Bags are a great option for storing milk, made from 100% food grade silicone and easy to store because of their design - either stand them up or lay them flat. What's more is they are fridge, freezer and heat-safe meaning they can be reused over and over again.
Haakaa Freezer Trays are another wonderful option for freezing breast milk. Again, made from 100% food grade silicone you can have cubes of liquid gold with a quick twist and pop of the tray.
How to warm breastmilk?
- Breastmilk should be warmed by placing the bottle of milk inside a container of warm water. Frozen breastmilk can be defrosted in the fridge or placing it in a container of warm water
- Never microwave breastmilk because the microwave destroys some of its precious components and there is a risk of uneven heating
- Before feeing the breastmilk to the baby swirl the bottle to distribute the heat evenly - do not shake breastmilk, it can damage the propitious of your liquid gold
- Test the temperature of the breastmilk by squirting a few drops on to the inside of your wrist, it should feel warm
- Once warmed, use breast milk immediately and throw away any leftovers. It's not safe to reheat or refreeze.