Can you believe it's almost time to put the clocks forward again?! It doesn't feel like 6 months have passed by since I wrote the last blog post on daylight savings. On September 27th we put our clocks forward one hour before we go to bed (and check our smoke alarms), this can result in early morning waking for our children, no one wants that! Heck - I can't cope with anything before 7am, anyone else? I'm no expert (I once paid for sleep advice for Sebastian) regardless, here are my 3 tips for a smooth transition;
- Maintain a consistent routine
- Invest in a Woolbabe 3-season sleep sack
- Make sure you have blockout curtains
We're all creatures of habit - babies & children like a bit of routine too so do your best at sticking to normal bedtimes, rules & habits. We have a 7.30pm bedtime in our home for the little boys & Eli goes to bed at 8pm, he's allowed to read or draw until 8.30 & then its LIGHTS OUT! Every night we meet in the babies room (Sebastian & Xavier's room) where we brush teeth, say prayers & I read them a book or seven. Some nights it's chaotic, some nights they muck around for what feels like ages but the key is consistency & mostly they just drift off to sleep land.
Most often I think babies & children wake because they are cold, they're wriggly little things who kick off blankets & un-swaddle themselves & then wake or come trotting into our beds because they're cold. Woolbabe & a hot water bottle are your answer here in the cooler months but as the heat inches nearer & nearer it can be harder to get it right - it's often stifling when we put our wee ones down & then freezing a few hours later. Natural fibres will take good care of you & your baby.
I deliberately only carry the front-zip Woolbaby sleep sacks, been wondering why?! Personal experiences of little boys (Eli & Seb) standing up in their cots, popping the shoulder domes of side zip, sliding out of the sack & then climbing out of the cot. I wised up in time for Xav who enjoyed long warm sleep in a front-zip sack for 2.5 years. Woolbabe include a super handy room thermometer that will guide you on how many layers your baby should be wearing. Here are two more reasons a Woolbabe is the best choice for you baby;
- 100% natural fabrics that help regulate temperature & ensure your baby is just the right temperature all night
- Lots of amazing customer feedback & 5 star reviews about why parents love their woolbabe. 3-season weight reviews can be found HERE & Duvet weight reviews can be found HERE
Other useful daylight savings tips;
- Start on the Thursday before daylight savings by moving sleep & feeds by 15 minutes instead of the whole hour at once
- Invest in a fan for the bedroom
- Try using a diffuser with essential oils beneficial for sleep
- I believe in children having a "thing" something they can positively associate with comfort & sleep. Two of my children had cuddly's & sucked their thumbs. One didn't. You can guess who were the better sleepers by MILES!
- When choosing a Woolbabe Suit know that you can size up, it is ok for the suit to be big & bunch at the legs
- Failing all of that - buy a Super King bed & safely bed share
Fingers crossed for loooooong, sleep. Good luck!